Spirit Airlines Cancellation Policy: Flight cancellations may be quite annoying in addition to being very expensive. This article explains the specifics of Spirit Airlines’ cancellation policy, including how to cancel a flight, get a refund, and more.
If you decide to change your plans, Spirit’s cancellation policy may allow you to get a complete refund. The following criteria must be met in order to get a refund:
- A full refund is available for flight cancellations requested at least 60 days prior to travel.
- For flights leaving after seven days or longer, cancellations made within 24 hours of booking qualify for a full refund.
- Spirit Airlines’ cancellations of flights are eligible for a full reimbursement.
- Any flight delay longer than two hours is eligible for a full reimbursement.
- A flight change is eligible for a full refund.
A full refund or reservation credit is available for flight cancellations caused by COVID-19. Any Spirit flight reservations made for travel before March 31, 2021 are subject to this (now over).
A complete refund is possible in exceptional cases like death, major sickness, jury duty, etc., but only with supporting documentation and Spirit Airlines’ consent.
Depending on when you cancel, you may be charged a cancellation fee in all other circumstances.
- 1 Spirit Airlines Cancellations within 24 hours
- 2 Spirit Airlines’ COVID Cancellation Policy
- 3 Cancellation Fee for Spirit Airlines
- 4 How can I cancel a flight with Spirit Airlines?
- 5 Cancel Spirit Flight Online
- 6 Refund Policy for Spirit Airlines
- 7 Spirit Airlines Credit for Reservations
- 8 Phone number for cancellations on Spirit Airlines
- 9 Spirit Airlines provides compensation for canceled flights.
Spirit Airlines Cancellations within 24 hours
If you cancel a ticket with Spirit Airlines within 24 hours of booking, you will get a full refund as long as the flight leaves at least 7 days later (i.e., after 168 hours). For all fares, this policy is in effect.
A fee will be assessed to passengers who change their flight within seven days of departure or more than 24 hours after buying their ticket.
Spirit Airlines’ COVID Cancellation Policy
According to COVID-19, Spirit Airlines’ cancellation policy expires on March 31, 2021. Any flights on the airlines that had been booked with a departure date of up to March 31, 2021, were eligible for free cancellation under this policy. Nevertheless, you must tell Spirit Airlines as soon as possible before your aircraft takes off if you are required to cancel your flight reservation as a result of COVID-19 or if your doctor recommends against travelling due to a COVID-19-related issue. Most likely, your ticket will be changed into a Reservation Credit that may be used for next trips. In certain cases, you could be given a refund.
You will be responsible for making your own travel and lodging arrangements if your flight is cancelled due to inclement weather (or other factors beyond Spirit Airlines’ control) (if required). The airlines will use reasonable attempts to provide you information so you may book lodgings on your own, but they won’t pay for your lodging. You could be qualified to cancel your trip and submit an application for a Reservation Credit that you can use to travel later if your further journey is unnecessary since your flight was cancelled due to weather.
Cancellation Fee for Spirit Airlines
The chart below shows how the Spirit Airlines cancellation charge changes according on when you cancel your reservation.
Cancellation Charge for Spirit Airlines
- 24 hours after purchasing (if purchased at least 7 days before departure) – USD 0
- More than 60 days before departure – USD 0
- 59 to 31 days before to departure – USD 69
- 30 days before to departure – USD 99
- 6 to 10 days before to departure – USD 119
Spirit Airlines allows cancellations up to one hour before to departure, however there is a USD 119 cancellation charge.
Spirit Airlines’ regular ticket cancellation policy stipulates that, in order to get a full refund, you must either cancel within the allotted 24-hour period or at least 60 days before to departure. If you withdraw outside of these windows:
- Depending on when you cancel, you may be charged a cost (see table above).
- Your refund will be given to you as a Spirit Airlines reservation credit for future travel.
- Only the traveller to whom the credit was granted may utilise the reservation credit.
Always keep in mind that you may cancel your Spirit Airlines reservation up to one hour before to departure, but you will be charged.
You can amend your itinerary once for free if you’ve bought the Flight Flex add-on, but you can’t cancel it. If you do, depending on when you cancel, the regular cancellation fees (as stated above) will apply.
The cancellation procedure for Spirit Awards tickets is the same as for regular tickets. A cancellation fee depending on your departure date will apply if you cancel a Spirit Airlines ticket after the 24-hour grace period.
- Depending on when you cancel, you may be charged a cost (see table above).
- Your account will receive a deposit of your return points.
- You must call to cancel award tickets, keep in mind.
How can I cancel a flight with Spirit Airlines?
There are various methods to reschedule a Spirit Airlines flight:
- via phone
- Online through My Travels
- text message to 48763
- by dialling 888-354-0246 on WhatsApp
- using social media direct message
- Through a customer service representative at the nearby airport
Cancel Spirit Flight Online
To make an online flight reservation cancellation with Spirit Airlines:
An image of the My Trips page that was used to electronically cancel a Spirit flight
- Visit Spirit.com. Choose My Trips
- On the next page, type your: final name
- Code of confirmation (a 6-character alphanumeric code that appears in your confirmation email)
- To access the Reservation Summary page, click Proceed.
- To cancel a reservation, choose
- On the last page, you’ll see the refund amount and cancellation charges.
Refund Policy for Spirit Airlines
The return policy of Spirit Airlines is straightforward yet stringent. The airline claims that by not providing refundable tickets, it is able to maintain its prices low for all customers.
Nonetheless, you’ll be qualified for a complete refund if
- You change or cancel your travel plans at least 60 days before departure.
- As long as the flight doesn’t take off for at least seven days, you may cancel it within 24 hours.
- Spirit has cancelled your flight.
- If there is a 2 hour or more delay in your flight.
- Your flight has changed, however the new flight is unsuitable for you.
If you can present the airline with sufficient documentation proof and they agree, you are legally required to cancel your travel in the event of a severe illness, death, jury duty, etc.
Spirit Airlines Credit for Reservations
The confirmation number you got (by email) when you cancelled your trip is called a Spirit Airlines Reservation Credit. This 6-digit alphanumeric code may be used to pay for tickets, seats, and luggage as well as vacation packages, fees, taxes, and other charges. Reservation Credits may be redeemed online at Spirit.com or over the phone, but not via the mobile app.
How to Use Your Spirit Airlines Booking Credit
To book a flight, you may use your credits over the phone or online.
To use a reservation credit to rebook a flight online:
- Visit Spirit.com.
- Type in your travel needs
- choose “Search Flights” from the menu.
- Observe the instructions on-screen to:
- Choose a flight.
- Choose your package.
- Enter the traveler’s information (your personal details must be the same as those in the cancellation mail)
The payment page says:
- Choose Redeem A Voucher or Credit from the menu.
- Fill up the box with your confirmation code (it is a 6-digit alphanumeric code)
- Press the “Go” button.
- Enter the necessary sum (either the whole or partial payment) for your reservation in the Amount to Spend box.
- Choose “Apply Credit” from the menu.
Note: If you must pay extra, enter the needed sum together with your payment information and complete the transaction.
- To finish your booking, adhere to the on-screen instructions.
- Your flight information and a confirmation of your reservation will be sent to you via email soon.
- Any outstanding debt will show up as a credit balance for next trips.
Note: Any reservation credit that is provided between March 2020 and July 27, 2021, may be used to book any flight that is still available by December 31, 2021.
You may make a new reservation online or over the phone by using your reservation credit.
Credits for reservations include:
- Used repeatedly until the value has been used up.
- Used to pay for travel-related expenses such tickets, seats, luggage, vacation packages, and taxes.
- Any traveler named on the reservation may use this.
Credits for reservations cannot be:
- Redeemable using a smartphone app.
- Not redeemable for cash.
- 90-day Reservation Within 90 days of the credit’s issuing date, the credit must be used.
Phone number for cancellations on Spirit Airlines
Below are some crucial Spirit Airlines telephone numbers.
- Phone number for Spirit Airlines cancellations: 1-888-354-0246 (via this website) (24/7, toll-free in the United States and Canada)
- Service to guests: 1-855-SAVE-555 (855-728-3555). (toll-free)
- Text: 48763
- 888-354-0246 for WhatsApp
- Call 711 for assistance if you have hearing loss (TTY/TTD).
- Spirit Airlines Vacations may be reached at (954) 698-0125 (Mon-Fri, 8:00am–10:30pm, EST), even on holidays.
Spirit Airlines provides compensation for canceled flights.
The EC 261 regulation applies if your flight leaving from an airport in the European Union (EU) is canceled or delayed. The EC 261 addresses:
- Announcements of flight cancellations less than 14 days before travel.
- More than three-hour flight delays.
EC 261 excludes coverage for:
- Flights leaving from an airport outside the EU.
- Flight cancellations brought on by unforeseeable events Spirit is unable to prevent, such as inclement weather, security threats, life-threatening situations, medical crises, airport strikes (except those by airline workers), political disturbance, etc.
Only flights with major delays are eligible for compensation for cancelled flights. You won’t be eligible to compensation if Spirit Airlines provides you a substitute flight that arrives at your destination at the same time as your original trip.
The following is Spirit Airlines’ compensation policy for canceled flights:
- The maximum amount of compensation for all flights under 1,500 kilometers is EUR 250 per person.
- The maximum amount of compensation for flights inside the EU that are longer than 1,500 km is EUR 400.
- The maximum amount of compensation for any non-internal EU flight between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometers is EUR 400 per person.
- The maximum amount of compensation for any out-of-the-EU flights longer than 3,500 km is EUR 600 per passenger.