WestJet Airlines Cancellation Policy: In response to recommendations for specific destinations and the COVID-19 epidemic, WestJet Airlines has loosened its cancellation procedures. See which of the cancellation guidelines and policies in the list below applies to your situation.
- COVID-19-Related Flight Cancellation Policies
Flights booked between March 3, 2020, and July 5, 2022 are eligible.
The following cancellation policies will be in effect if COVID-19 has an impact on your travel arrangements:
- A one-time change/cancellation fee waiver applies to all flights booked between March 3, 2020 and July 5, 2022, and it is free of charge.
- After June 22, 2022, basic fare tickets cannot be cancelled.
- At least 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight, you must request the cancellation.
- If you have to cancel your flight, you will get a Travel Bank Credit as payment. Your account will be reimbursed for any portion of the fare that was paid using WestJet dollars (subject to the original expiration date).
- You can also choose to alter your flight as long as you pay the additional fee.
- The normal cancellation (or change) fee will be charged if you modify (or cancel) your flight within 24 hours of takeoff.
- To complete your cancellation request, get in touch with the airline or travel agency where you bought your ticket directly.
Flights Affected by a Travel Advice Cancellation Policy
You have the following choices up until regular flight operations resume if a travel advisory affects your trip, such as an airport shutdown, inclement weather, or outbreaks unrelated to COVID-19:
- As long as you adhere to the policies that govern your original fare type, you are permitted to cancel your flight or vacation and obtain a refund.
- You may, but only from/to the same location, modify your travel dates without incurring any fees. There won’t be any fare variations, although there could be cutoff dates.
You have the option of modifying your flight dates as well as your destination.
- You won’t be charged the additional cost if you travel to a neighbouring airport such as Abbotsford (YXX) rather than Vancouver (YVR).
- The ticket difference will apply if you are travelling to a remote airport.
- If your new fare is less expensive than your original fare, your fare type’s refund policies will take effect.
- WestJet Cancellation Policy within 24 Hours
Applies to flights cancellations requested within 24 hours of booking
As long as you book your flight at least 24 hours before departure, you are free to cancel a flight within 24 hours of booking without incurring any cancellation fees. Nevertheless, the standard cancellation policies and charges will be in effect if you reserve a flight that leaves within 24 hours.
WestJet Cancellation Policy after 24 Hours
After 24 hours from the time of booking, basic fares cannot be cancelled and are not eligible for travel credits. Depending on the fare class, additional fares may be subject to a cancellation charge.
Domestic EconoFlex fares (inside Canada) and BusinessFlex and PremiumFlex tickets may be cancelled without penalty on any routes.
Note. Except for flights from/to Europe, when the cancellation cost is levied per person and transaction, the cancellation fees apply per person and per route.
WestJet Rescheduled Flights Policy
- The following criteria must be met in order to receive a complete refund:
- WestJet has cancelled your flight.
- The new departure time for your WestJet flight is more than 90 minutes.
- Your initial WestJet flight’s itinerary gets extended by one or more stops. Policies of WestJet for Cancellations Due to Death or Sickness
Under the following circumstances, WestJet may waive the cancellation charges:
- Death of an immediate family member
- You fall ill severely
- You receive military orders
Note. The cancellation charge waiver is purely at the discretion of WestJet and is contingent upon your production of sufficient documentation. Call WestJet for further information or support.
WestJet Cancel Flight Policy by Fare Type
- In other words, Basic fare tickets can only be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, providing the purchase was completed at least 24 hours before departure. WestJet does not authorise cancellation of Basic tickets outside of the 24-hour window.
- Depending on your itinerary and whether you cancel 60 days before departure or within 60 days of departure, Econo tickets can only be changed beyond the 24-hour window for a cost. Go to the section labelled WestJet Cancellation Costs for information on cancellation charges.
Econo Flex Tickets
- No matter when you cancel, Econo Flex tickets for domestic flights within Canada are free to be changed. Depending on whether you cancel more than 60 days before to departure or within 60 days of departure, a cancellation fee will be charged for all other routes. Go to the section labelled WestJet Cancellation Costs for information on cancellation charges.
- While PremiumFlex tickets can be cancelled without incurring any fees, Premium tickets can only be cancelled for a price. A normal Premium ticket’s cancellation cost will vary depending on your itinerary and whether you cancel more than 60 days or less than 60 days prior to your departure. For further information, please see the section under WestJet Cancellation Costs.
- There may be a cancellation cost for business tickets (but not for BusinessFlex tickets), depending on your route and the time of cancellation. There is no charge to cancel a BusinessFlex ticket. Go to the section headed WestJet Cancellation Costs for information on cancellation charges for regular Business tickets.
For support with flight cancellation please give us a call at +1 (888) 354-0246